New Girl Scout Boating Camp at Aurora Reservoir
Park plays host to summer camp
Girls looking for a way to cool off during the summer months and learn some water sport skills have a chance thanks to Girl Scouts of Colorado.
“These are some of our most popular camps,” said Betsy Smith, outdoor programs director for the Girl Scouts.
1. The scouts offer two camps: Focus at Bear Creek Lake Park in June and H2O Sampler new this July at Aurora Reservoir that focus on the different water sports of canoeing, kayaking, sailing, windsurfing/SUP and all the skills that go along with them. Girls need not be members of Girl Scouts to participate.
2. June 26 through 30: The Focus camp allows participants to focus on one water sport, and learn all the skills required for their chosen sport plus an optional Red Cross certification.
3. July 24 through 28: The second camp is a kind of sampler that allows girls to try different sports, including windsurfing and stand up paddle board. “It’s a great opportunity for girls to try different sports,” said Louise Bashaw, who runs the camp.
4. ‘How knot to lose a boat’: In addition to the sports, girls will learn skills like making a dry bag to keep their possessions safe, important nautical knots and social skills. “The social aspect is very important, and keeps our girls from not watching TV or video games all summer,” said Smith. “Participants will build social skills and connections. They build friendships that they keep up each year.”
5. Scholarship opportunity: Each camp has a scholarship to fund one camper’s registration costs in honor of a long time Girl Scout volunteer, Lou Ann “Skipper” Hustvedt. Who passed away in 2015 of cancer.
6. Volunteer monitored: The summer camps are kept running and engaging by volunteers dedicated to giving girls the best possible experience. “Our volunteers are safety trained and have been doing this for many years,” Bashaw said. “We all want to give girls a chance to be on the water as much as possible.”
For more information, or to find a camp, visit www.girlscoutsofcolorado.org/parents/camp or contact email@example.com